Tuesday 21 January 2014

RPHC4001 The Object and The Body - Part 2 Still Life - Photo Shoot

The Shoot

The Object shoot took place on Friday 29th November. First, I had to get the studio set up.

I decided to use mirrors to produce a distorted image of the bags and boxes. This was to create the illusion of how people can get a distorted view in their minds of having to have expensive designer products.

To get this effect, I had to bend the mirror board into a tube. Next, I hung the bags on thread and suspend them on a rod so that they looked as though they were floating in the middle of the tube. Then I placed two honeycomb lights to see which position would work best.

Next, I took a few practice shots on a digital camera to see what effect I would get. Two black poly boards were set up on the side so no other light could reflect on it.

When I found the best direction to shoot in, I set up the Horseman camera.  Then I did a practice shot to test that the focus and the aperture were right, after which I processed it and scanned the negative into the computer. I decided it was too dark so I changed the settings to make it lighter.

My research supports my concept as I looked at artists who were trying to make a point about consumerism. I found media reports which told of consumers who had got their obsession out of control.
I looked at photographers who reflected or distorted images which gave me ideas for how to portray the distorted images in the minds of these particular consumers.

Next time to improve my research, I could devise a questionnaire, take it to a shopping centre with designer shops and ask consumers about their shopping habits.

The images I chose were because they were more in focus which made the logos clearer.

My visual choices translate my ideas well as I wanted to create the illusion of how people can get a distorted view in their minds of having to have designer products and the mirror boards distorted my image.

I managed my studies well, even though the project was running alongside the Portrait project.  I spent a lot of time researching media articles, comments from consumers, artists and photographers.

I need to reflect that I should have thought a bit more about the props I needed for this shoot as it ended up being a bit stressful.









No comments:

Post a Comment