Sunday 3 November 2013

Further Environment Research

My visit to the Northern Heights Line at Finsbury Park proved to be disappointing. I walked along the disused track, which has been converted to a nature reserve, until I came to the former Crouch End station. Although the platforms were clearly visible, there was only a muddy path running between them where the track had once been. I felt that without the track, it looked more like the nature reserve it had become and not the disused railway line that I was hoping for.




In the work of the photographer I had researched, Joel Sternfeld, his work entitled ‘The High Line’ clearly showed the railway tracks still in place. This allows the image to be viewed as intended, whereas if I had taken the abandoned Crouch End station, the viewer would have seen an area of nature reserve with a built-up concrete structure that, if you had not known what you were looking at, would not have portrayed the image I was hoping for.

Still working with the theme of abandoned/disused railways, I researched various websites including:


The reduction of route network and restructuring of the railways were referred to in the Beeching Cuts.  Two reports written by Dr Richard Beeching in 1963 and 1965 identified 2,363 stations and 5,000 miles of railway line for closure because of increasing competition of road transport. Protests saved some of the lines and stations, but mass closure happened which left stations and tracks to decay, which left me thinking there must be a suitable one to photograph.
The online sites showed many interesting areas of some of these stations. However, further research into the ones that I felt might make really good photographs, again proved disappointing. A lot of the images online had been taken a few years ago and redevelopment had started on some, so much of the remains had been demolished. It seemed that the ones that had not had worked started on them yet, had the tracks removed either for health and safety reasons or just for the fact they would have been stolen and sold for scrap. Another setback was that it would have been impossible for me to gain access into a part of the old station to get the images I required.

Whilst doing my research, the Derelict London site was divided into categories and Cemeteries and Churches caught my eye. There were plenty of images that I thought could fit into my theme of abandoned/derelict places, but again as with the railway photos, lots had been taken a few years ago and were now demolished. However, I have narrowed my choice down to two that are suitable.

St Dunstan in the East is two walls remaining of a church near Tower Hill in London dating back to 1382. This church was partially destroyed by the Great Fire of London, rebuilt by Christopher Wren and reduced to a shell in the Blitz. All that remained was the tower and the steeple. It was decided not to rebuild the church again, but the two remaining walls have beautiful architecture. However, my research into this made me realise that this does not come under my abandoned/derelict theme as the area has been converted into a walled garden by the local authority. Shrubs and flowers grow through the windows and around a paved seating area where people can escape the hustle and bustle of city life. As this is constantly maintained, this will not fit my criteria.

St Lawrence’s Church in Brentford, Middlesex looks just the same now as on the site. So that is where my research has taken me. I am still going with the abandoned/disused theme, but applying it to a church rather than a station. The concept is how nature evolves when places are left derelict and abandoned.


My next step is to find a photographer who takes similar images and look at these. David Spero takes photographs of derelict or abandoned buildings that have been converted to churches. But what I shall take is the more traditional-looking church. I shall also research issues that architecture that is out of character with the area brings. I know there are lots of places in London where contrasting buildings sit together, so I shall look up some of these images.

No comments:

Post a Comment